Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Tuesday evening


Arvind and I decided to do a bit of exploration around the area, ostensibly looking for a cyber cafe. Walked around a bit, had about 2 dozen people ask us if we wanted to exchange money, but never found a cyber cafe.

On the way back to the hotel, a lady told us where we could find one...we'll check it out tomorrow.

It was a good chance to just see the evening environment and activities, at least in this one small cosm of Abuja.


Interesting how prevalent the mobile phone ecosystem is here. The photo is a mobile recharge booth, manned even after dark to sell these things. Everybody, everywhere is selling sim and recharge cards. They attack your car when you drive by, they approach you on the street...just very different than I'm used to for mobile phones, having had a subscription service for some 10+ years now...

As we were walking into the hotel 'campus', I stopped to take a night scene of the Sheraton. As I was taking the shot, 2 officers walked up, I guess we looked a bit suspicious, so we wandered off....the one thing my wife told me was not to end up in a Nigerian jail!

Kipp