Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Internet connectivity

Well, after some frustrating first days here, I'm feeling connected and much better about my ability to operate...I appear to be over dependent on the Internet, I almost cease functioning without it (which really isn't that far from my normal operating mode!).

The hotel has Internet connectivity at the Business Center. It costs (Naira) N50/minute, which is about $.33/minute -- ouch!

Getting to a cyber cafe is within about 5 minute walk from the hotel, rates at most of these are N100/hour, which is less than $1/hour! That's quite the difference!

Of course the first cyber cafe we visited today had no power...so there is that. We decided to trek on over towards WATRA and find the cyber cafe across the street. This was just fine...until the network went down....oh well.

Back at the hotel, we discover the mother lode. Apparently, the Sheraton is one of the points for the new city-wide wireless network that they are launching. We discovered that the bar/restraunt out by the pool has most excellent wireless access! Well, if you consider we're getting it for free, and it's about 100kbps last I checked. A great deal and way better than I was used to over the last couple of days.

And just to do it, I placed an order on my Schwab account -- wanted to do some ecommerce from Abuja! I hope I wanted those shares...

Happy connectivity!

Kipp