Saturday, December 03, 2005

Preparation for the trip

Okay, so it's getting down to the wire for the trip to Nigeria. I've had my shots (well, except I need another dose of my HepA+B). I've got my Yellow Fever card, I've got my Meningitus shot, my MMR shot, my Tetanus shot, I took my Mefloquine (no hallucinations yet!).

My shopping list for the trip:
- shots (I really dislike those intramuscular injections!)
- diarrehea drugs (really looking forward to getting to use these!)
- flashlight (while I'm staying at the Sheraton, I just want to be sure)
- power converter (Nigeria runs at 220 volts/ 50 Hz, so you need a converter)
- phone jack converter (reportedly Nigeria uses the UK phone jack, but I'll be taking my chances)
- deet or Picaridin mosquito repellent (apparently the Cutter Advanced with picaridin is much nicer to use than deet, with no smell and a light, clean feel on the skin -- http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/PersonalRepellents/Advanced/ )
- food (I grabbed some things from REI so I could save a little cash and have some food when I didn't want to go out)
- knife/leatherman tool - hey, you just never know what you'll need
- water filteration and treatment - I picked up a water bottle from REI with built in microfilteration system as well as a 2 stage iodine water treatment kit just in case
- batteries (my camera and flashlight both run off the same AA batteries)
- little gifts for folk I bother while I'm there
- Visa
- Passport
- Travel docs (copy of flight, visa, passport, etc.)
- cash (some, but I'm not telling you how much!)
- clothes (not sure yet, since I haven't packed, but it'll apparently be pretty hot (90's) during the day and I don't expect to be out too much during the night)
- computer (if you want to know, it's an Apple PowerBook G4)
- camera (casio EX-Z120)
- phone (turns out my little Noika is triband, so I should have GSM coverage using my phone and a new SIM card when I get there. http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml)
- power supplies

That should just about do it, or at least I sure hope so!