Thursday, December 29, 2005

Back in the States


So, it's been over a week since last I posted and I've done a bit more traveling since then...

I was planning on a leisurely evening before I left Abuja, but my friends arrived at the hotel (Nsikan, Arvind, Joshua, Nsikan's sister Alma, her friend, and a friend of Joshua's), so I had to go have a final farwell beer (or 2). It was a good send off!


Wednesday morning, I get up around 5, check out, and head to the airport at 6. Had 3,000 Naira left to my name so that was what I ended up paying for the cab ride. At the airport good and early, which was good as I had to argue with the British Air folk in order to get them to check my luggage at least as far as Washington. Got that taken care of and hang out awaiting the flight. My last images of Nigeria...






On the long flight to London, I did get to at least see the Sahara out the window as we flew over a lot of sand. Very impressive, would love to experience just a bit of the desert in person...
...but it is a very large desert!



And then it was fun seeing the European land mass appear...

And I was able to test my zoom from 37,000 feet moving at some 500 Mph to get a glimpse of some European city...wonder what city this is?

After switching planes at Heathrow, I took United back to Dulles...another hefty flight and fairly well packed in. Got some reading done and I think I caught a bit of a nap. Once in D.C., was very surprised to get through customs with all my luggage (given my luck going to Nigeria!). But I did, and it was about 7:30PM EST, and my flight isn't until 6:30AM on Thursday morning...

Tried to catch a late night flight to ATL, but they were all booked...couldn't get my boarding pass, so found a really comfortable (as if) chair in baggage claim that was close to an outlet so I could watch a movie (Tombstone) and catch a couple minutes of shut eye before my morning flight...

You can see my morning alarm clock at Dulles...



Back in ATL, had another chance to experience MARTA before finally seeing my family at the pick-up spot. A very happy reunion!

It's good to be back home, if only for a few hours before we head off to celebrate Christmas in Jackson, Mississippi...another 7 hours on the road, but a good relaxing time is awaiting me at the end of the trail!

No comments: