Saturday, December 03, 2005

Nebraska trip

So, I recently got back from a trip back to the plains over Thanksgiving. Yup, I'm from a little itty-bitty town in southwest Nebraska -- Lebanon be the name, and some 70 people now call it home (it was over 100 when I lived there and I think they are exaggerating at 70!).

Took the family and had a chance to visit with more family and friends. It was good to get back, but truy a journey (perhaps in preparation for my next one?).

I also wanted to test my camera in conjunction with the blog, so here is a view from a few yards east of my house (facing southwest). The closest neighbor is in the other direction, about 1/4 mile away. The town of Lebanon is about 2.5 miles east, and the nearest 'big' town is 24 miles away, McCook with a population of something around 10,000.

And to get a sense of what my high school was like. A few years back, it was closed and sold to somebody who apparently is trying real hard to become the quintessential redneck. Only he's failing miserably, in my opinion. What good, red-blooded, redneck wouldn't be keeping the football field in good condition and what a waste of a scoreboard! Although you have to admit, they are doing a fine job with the junk in the front, the weeds, and the number of cars parked in front!

Ah, home...