Saturday, December 17, 2005

Friday, poolside, and friends


So, Friday afternoon, the wifi network came back to life which made me happy. Hanging by the pool doing work and catching up is a good way to hang.

I was able to skype with my wife (since my cell phone is still lacking a charger, I've been living without and/or leveraging Arvind's phone for connectivity in the vocal dimension). The skype call was great, however, holding my laptop up to my head like a cell phone isn't as comfortable! Actually, it was funny, as our phone call was dropped...but it wasn't on my side, my wife's network dropped the connection -- somewhat ironic, eh?

Also was able to do a bit more research on regional IXPs, still gathering relevant literature and trying to get contacts in country to dig out additional details...

Sun goes down and head back to the room for a bit of relaxing. Around 8, Arvind and I meet up and have a bit of food. He's busy finishing a paper that is due, so Nsikan and Joshua come and pick me up for a bit of eating and drinking.

A very close group that I was able to hang out with – Ben, a soft spoken gentlemen whose wife recently came home, father of 4 (3 boys and 1 girl of 11). Nsikan, my colleague from Tech, who has a rich history within Nigeria with his father having been a well respected official within the foreign affairs(?) department. Joshua, a very vibrant fellow who has a lot to say about the problems within Nigeria and how to solve them. A new fellow I met tonight, Robert(?) who is an officer of Protocol for some lady within the Ministry of Health – not a lot to say, but pleasant to be around. And lastly, Zacharia, a Lietenant Colonel within the Nigerian Army who was exceedingly eager to bend my ear. “Tomorrow, we will talk”, was his incessant murrurm in my ear…

Regardless of their differences, they are a deeply personal people – much regarding the touch of human flesh and the acknowldgement that comes with personal contact. You can feel it, you can see it, you can hear it….nothing goes on without a personal touch. It’s warming to be included and completely embraced by them…there is no way to not just simply enjoy being around them.

It was pleasant and I was able to sample the local cuisine. In particular, I did like the isi ewu (goat head) which had a good flavor. The other one, I think it was cow leg(?) was okay, but not as tasty as the isi ewu. And the last one I declined was the tongue, something that is actually eaten in Nebraska, but not something I've been too interested in over the years.

It was also nice as the Star beer were about N120 for .6L --- so I figured I could get 3 for the price of 1 compared to the Sheraton, so I stocked up!

The crew dropped me back at the hotel and poured me out of the car...